1. Benny K surprised me with a babysitter and movie tickets and we went to see New Moon last night. SPOILER ALERT: Jacob is a werewolf. Don't say I didn't warn you. I admit it: I read the books. I wanted to see what all the hype was about and I must say I wasn't bowled over by the series but that doesn't mean I won't go see the movies. So, it's opening weekend and we go along with about 700 tweens wearing Rob Pattison shirts and way too much black eyeliner. There was a line to get into the theatre. I've never waited in line to get into a movie and I realized as we were standing there that we were the old ones. We were easily twice as old as at least 90 percent of the people in line and eavesdropping on the conversations made the wait so worthwhile. The girl behind us was there with her mom and brother who clearly wished he were anywhere but waiting in line to see New Moon with his mom and sister. The conversation went something like this:
12 year old sister: I can honestly say this is the best movie I've ever seen.
14 year old brother: You cannot. You haven't even seen it yet.
Sister: [eye roll and sigh] I can say it because I already know it will be the best movie I've ever seen. You don't even understand why. Mom knows why...I love him. [either Edward or Jacob--the male leads].
Brother mutters: This is so stupid. I can't believe I'm here.
Classic.
I'd also never before experienced the screams of elation when the male characters appeared on the screen or proceeded to take their shirts off (which happened a lot for a teeny bopper movie). The screams were followed by violent shushing and some "c'mons" from older people in crowd. The whole experience provided a glimpse into the world of teenagers and, quite frankly, it is a scary place.
Another highlight: there was a baby in the crowd. It wasn't our baby, but there was definitely a baby in the theatre. I shutter at the thought that it was potentionally the offspring of one of the high school girls in the audience. Sigh.
2. While driving about our fair city earlier this week I saw a decal on the back of a very large truck that read: Whack 'em and sack 'em. I don't even know what that means but it does not seem like something one should broadcast on the back of his vehicle. Again...sigh.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment